In celebration of Old Goatdom

For me it's all about the sixes.  Identical twin Greg and I were born at six something pounds on June 6, 1960 in a state that was first settled in 1660 (New Jersey).

Six decades later on the 60th anniversary of that occasion, having lost 86 pounds and feeling in dynamite shape, I have a very "sixish" task ahead of me: Completing the Old Goat Challenge.
I've axed my weight by 86 pounds since
photo at left was taken on Aug. 31.

What is the Old Goat Challenge? It's a 60-mile, three-segment course of my own making. I'm also looking for sponsors to feed some green grass to the goat, but I'll cover that in a bit.

The challenge will begin at precisely 5:46 a.m. on Saturday, June 6 on a beach along north Camano Island. I'll paddle a kayak across Utsalady Bay, northwest by Strawberry Point on Whidbey Island facing Skagit Bay, past the peak of Ika Island then around Goat Island at the entrance of Swinomish Slough. Goat Island was once the site of Fort Whitman, completed in 1911 to help shore up American coastal defenses in the years following the Spanish-American War. The smallest of six similar forts in the area, Fort Whitman was equipped with four six-inch caliber guns capable of lobbing 100-pound shells toward any passing enemy flotilla.

Part of the reason for the early start is a very low tide, a minus 3.5, at noon that day. It's imperative that I make it to my destination before little Goat Island becomes a big sand bar. After rounding Goat Island I'll follow the channel jetty into the scenic slough to the ramp at the foot of the Rainbow Bridge, completing a total distance of 12 miles.
The paddle to running transition is at the
LaConner Boat Ramp by the Rainbow Bridge.
From there I'll begin the half-marathon segment of the Old Goat, which will take me through the scenic tourist town of LaConner, then by some farms and cow pastures of rural Skagit County. I'll  finish the halfathon in Conway, where I hope to enjoy a burger or fish and chips (and a big gulp of ice water) with friends at one of my favorite dive diners, the Conway Tavern.

Then begins the pedaling portion, a 35-mile jaunt to wind through southwest Skagit and northwest Snohomish counties and back over to Camano Island, where the final 19 miles will climb some high- grade hills before coasting back to our family place on Utsalady Bay. Heavy fog or stormy weather cancels the sea segment and extends the bike ride.
The 60-mile coarse starts with a 12-mile paddle, followed by a 13.1 mile run then a 35-mile bike ride. (Click on the image for more detail)

Why am I doing the OGC? At first it was just to prove (mostly to myself) that I could. Since a guy has to turn 60 at some point, why not embrace it? Also perhaps to inspire others of a certain age that they too can take on such a thing. Then more mental wheels started to turn. What if I can do this and actually accomplish more than the distance and physical challenge?

One of my roles in life is to serve on the board of an organization that sends teams to a remote corner of Guatemala to work on school, water system and stove installation projects in the Mayan villages that dot the hills of the Northwest Highlands region. We have a compound with a large group living quarters and a manufacturing facility in the city of Santa Cruz Barillas and employ up to 10 people to prepare for the teams and serve alongside them as we do our work. Another role for many years now has been to organize a team at the church we attend, Marine View Presbyterian in Northeast Tacoma, to go to Guatemala with this organization, the Everett-based Hands for Peacemaking Foundation.

Unfortunately our team, and several others, had to cancel this year's trip plans due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Even had the Guatemalan government not restricted foreign travel, the last thing we want to do is risk spreading the virus to the impoverished villagers, or picking it up ourselves along the way. The foundation is a small organization and obviously the lack of team participation this year hurts us financially as well as keeps us from fulfilling our promise to the villages. So, here's the scoop:

Our Marine View stove team needed to raise near $26,000 to purchase 115, locally manufactured stoves at $225 apiece this year. These "clean air" stoves (with stove pipes)
replace the unhealthy open-pit cooking fires in village homes that cause vast respiratory issues and put small children in danger. With carry-over funds raised previously, a little raised this year and help from our church mission budget, we are about 10 grand shy of what we need. If I can raise $6,000 from my Old Goat Challenge, I think we'll have enough for our staff in Guatemala to do most of the stove installations in our absence. The staff can use the work, the 730 villagers in Esperancita Yulmacap will be very grateful for the stoves and we can all relish the satisfaction of completing our mission even though we can't be there in person to help.

I'll contribute the first $600. Through your generosity, preferably in a dollar amount with a seis in it (i.e. $6, $60, $226, $606, $1060) we'll raise the rest! We've set up a special link on the Marine View website. Just go there and choose the Old Goat Challenge - Guatemala Stove Fundraiser in the top right drop-down box.

Please donate by selecting "to Old Goat Challenge"
in the drop-down menu.


I invite your participation in the Old Goat in other ways too:
  • Pray (and/or cheer) for me as I prepare for (and do) the OGC.
  • Join me, for all or part! I have a plan for others to do this while remaining safely distanced, and can provide a place to camp with facilities. Or turn out along the half-marathon or cycling courses and urge me on. That would be fun.
  • Live tracking. I have a program on my Garmin app that will allow anyone with an interest to see where I am from start to finish. Just send me an email address to load into the system, which will handle up to 50 email transmissions.
This is my Everest. This is my old goat, no kidding around. I urge you to show your support by feeding the feta frenzy help a village in Guatemala and wish this new sexagenarian (someone in their sixth decade) a happy birthday! This challenge is dedicated to ye Old Goats everywhere!

Thank you.

Brian

P.S. A special thanks to Willy Villatoro with the Hands for Peacemaking staff in Guatemala for supplying the goat photos.
    



   


Comments

Popular Posts